Wednesday 12 December 2012

Yet to be named, pt31


He didn't know why, but he did. There was no point worrying about it. He focused on looking around instead. Something could be watching.
They made their way to the gate heading north. It was blissfully uneventful. Nothing even moved. The final turn before the gate, however, brought a problem along with its end.
- The gate is closed - Alvaren pointed out.
- Yes, I noticed. Thanks for the keen observation.
- How do you intend to get past it? - He ignored the cheeky reply.
- I don't know. Yet. We have to open it, I suppose.
- But how?
- It can't be that hard if even a guardsman can do it - she answered as she pulled at the reins to stop their mount right in front of the gate.
It looked rather solid. Thick wood reinforced with iron. That thing, coupled with strong walls, could protect this place from a siege for a long time.
Or trap everyone inside and make them face a terrible fate.
He hoped not.
- Well? - Shirral brought back the conversation. - What now?
- I don't know - he looked around. - There should be a mechanism in the gatehouse, I think.
- Seems reasonable - she jumped off the horse. - You wait here. I'll take a look in there - she pointed at a door in the wall. - I'll make it as quick as possible.
And off she went.

No comments:

Post a Comment